Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you pack a motherboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 sheilaa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: How do you pack a motherboard Reply with quote

How do you pack a motherboard for shipping back to the manufacturer? I was sent a bum motherboard, and now I have to ship it back so that they can fix it, but they didn't say how I should pack it to send it back. Are there certain materials that I shouldn't use? Should I wrap it in plastic before I add a stabilizing material like bubble wrap or styrofoam popcorn?
aconbay
affiliateelite

Last edited by sheilaa on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
#1 dave_c

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return it in the original packaging. If you no longer have all of the original packaging you should ask a local mom-n-pop computer shop for packaging they would be throwing away (so it should be free, but you might buy something from them just to be nice).

It should be double boxed. Packaging typically includes:

Anti-static bag. These are usually either pink colored, silver foil colored, or clear with black elements crossing each other on the bag surface.

Foam liner sheet in the bag. Not all boards have them, and some were instead packed in an anti-static bag that is also a bubble packing bag to serve dual purposes. Do not use any random piece of foam, theirs are anti-static material so either use one from same sized motherboard or use none at all. The foam usually goes on the back of the board before it is put in the anti-static bag.

Motherboard box of the appropriate size so it is not sliding around in the box. Some have a folded partition to help secure the board. If the partition does not match the board shape do not force it to fit, instead cutting away the part that doesn't.

If the box does not remain closed well, tape it shut.

Pack that in a larger box with (reasonably only 1" will suffice but shippers usually specify 2" minimum) 2" of padding around the motherboard box on all sides. Assuming the motherboard box closes reasonably you can use packing peanuts, or otherwise crumpled paper, bubble wrap, whatever... just be sure you put in enough packing material that the motherboard box does not move around when the outer box is lightly shaken. Also do not overpack with padding causing the outer box to bulge.

So in short, inside the motherboard box use only materials that motherboard manufacturers do, that came from some other motherboard if you don't have original packing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: