Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is There a Way To Speed Up Loading a Page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Feature Request
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 Petejc

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Is There a Way To Speed Up Loading a Page Reply with quote

When I go to bensbargains.net it takes a very long time for the page to load. Like over a minute or more. What is worse is that it seems to hang my other browser windows so I can't get anything else done.

Is there some way to speed up loading?

Thanks In Advance,

Pete
Sponsor
#1 Bens_Admin

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reporting this. In the past we had a bug that caused this on Internet Explorer, is that what you're using and which version #?

Is it only hanging on the homepage or on other areas of the site too and if others, can you give an example?
#2 Petejc

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IE version 8.0.6001.18702

It happens on the first bensbargains.net and then every "1, 2, next" at the bottom of each page. I watch Windows Task Manager and it reports your iexplorer window taking 79% to 95% of the CPU.

I just clicked the "2" at the bottom to go to your second page and the CPU for the main bensbargains window went to 99% while the window for this page went between 0 and 2%.

The bens is now at 66% and the CPU Time is reporting 0:7:35 I believe that is the total time for loading the first page and then the second.
#3 Bens_Admin

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional info. I'm starting to suspect it's a bug google caused. See if putting the following line in your windows HOSTS file helps:

127.0.0.1 apis.google.com

Here's further info if you aren't familiar with editing the HOSTS file:

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-7/edit-hosts-file-in-windows-7-windows-vista/

If the above line added to your hosts file doesn't work try adding these too:

127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 adwords.google.com

Of course by blocking these, you may get panels on some pages that read IE couldn't load something which was from Google. We are still looking into the cause and other solutions.
#4 Petejc

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried all that.
Rebooted.
Same problem. CPU=99% sometimes until the whole page is loaded. (I'm running XP-SP3)
#5 Bens_Admin

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have something more blocked in a HOSTS file but I don't know what. I did have the browser hang on IE8 then after adding some HOST file entries it was fixed. If you like I could email you that HOSTS file to try at your nyc account or some other you PM to me.

You shouldn't need to reboot to get the HOSTS file to take effect, just to close IE (and anything using the IE engine if that applies) , then reopen it a few seconds later.
#6 Petejc

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new HOSTS file is worth it. What should I look for as far as problems it might create?

That email address is fine. I forgot that was the one I used years ago to sign up. I'll update it in the future.

Thanks,

Pete
#7 Bens_Admin

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petejc wrote:
The new HOSTS file is worth it. What should I look for as far as problems it might create?

That email address is fine. I forgot that was the one I used years ago to sign up. I'll update it in the future.

Thanks,

Pete

It also might block some ads, scammer sites, sites infected with malware, etc. A lot of the entries were put there by some sort of security type software a long time ago then I removed most of them as the file size was getting large which supposedly slows down the browser if it's hundreds of KB in size.

Backup your existing hosts file and you can swap back and forth to see if it matters. Email sent.
#8 Bens_Admin

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the HOSTS file help any?

I have noticed one issue with that HOSTS file, it must have an entry that interferes with something on gravatar.com as it prevents adding or removing pictures. The problem line may be google-analytics.com and could be deleted from it.
#9 Bens_Admin

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are now some changes made to the site code that get rid of the lag for me without even having a HOSTS file present.

Did they fix the problem for you Petejc?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Feature Request All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: