Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Tech Only" filter not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Error / Bug Reporting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 timg11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: "Tech Only" filter not working Reply with quote

Selecting this filter seems to have no effect anymore. After checking it I still see shoes, auto parts, drums, hoodies, dresses, furniture, etc.

Also, the setting of "Tech Only" and "Show Expired" is no longer remembered. These used to set cookies so they would persist between sessions.
Sponsor
#1 Bens_Admin

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi timg11, thanks for reporting this.

I don't use those filters often but they seem to be working. If I checkmark "Show tech only" it reduces the items in the filter list, although there is still an entry in Tech for "Home, Garden & Auto", tech.

Once this list is reduced you can checkmark the categories you want instead of the "All Categories" box at the top of that list. For example doing that, and checking only laptops, I am getting hits for only laptops.

If I uncheckmark "Show expired" and browse around the site, when I come back to the homepage it has remembered laptops and not to show expired deals. I just closed that browser session (on Firefox) and opened it and it remembered the laptops and no show-expired settings.

Are you able to replicate this or does it take longer for the cookie to be ignored or expired?
#2 timg11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the problem. There may be two issues. First, I use NoScript to only enable necessary Javascript. You are apparently using Javascript from a large number of sites. Which sites are essential for the filter settings so I can be sure to enable them?

Also I see your cookie called filters that has an expiration on 4/13, or in two weeks. Why so short? How about a year, or never expire?
#3 Bens_Admin

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also using Noscript, and Adblock+ with a custom plugin that blocks quite a lot. The script in question seems to be one that, if you blocked it, you wouldn't get the drop-down filter choices at all, instead the button would act static doing nothing.

I could be mistaken, but even if I am it still seems that the only scripts needed to have it work on my end are still all coming from the following path:

http://ui.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:bensbargains.net/get/nv/js/

Other than any under that path, I had one from https://ajax.googleapis.com but disabling that didn't keep the filters from working... unless the browser was still caching it, I didn't hard refresh the page.

I do see a cookie for ben's named filters, set to expire in two weeks. I'm sure someone decided that was a good period to use but if we get enough user feedback that it needs increased in period then something might be done.

If you have a plugin for Firefox like "Cookies Manager" you can view that cookie and set it to expire whenever you want, or even never.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Error / Bug Reporting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: