Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here's what I see in my Ruby Crystal for RV870

View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 Casecutter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Here's what I see in my Ruby Crystal for RV870 Reply with quote

Here's what I see in my Ruby Crystal.

RV870 are likely to using the Radeon HD 5870 etc... designation... Surprise! Rolling Eyes

ATI is showing Dx11 at Quakecon in an exclusive access only room called Area64... where they will be showcasing 'The Future'.

Review sites have or will soon be getting samples from AIB partners for those who signed NDA’s. A Pre-Launch or a "specified release" (limited information) from ATI is said to be Sept 10th, while elimination of NDA agreements with reviewers to follow... days/week after.

ATI memory controllers now point to being 348-Bit for high-end, 192-Bit for Performance level (4770-4670) all with GDDR5. So on the high-end memory bandwidth could be 240Gb/s; so like almost double of the 4890. Later on the lower-end will use 96 or 48-Bit, while it isn’t confirm if it's GDDR5 or not.

RV870 high-end appear to receive 1600 shaders or thereabouts, 80 texture units and 32ROPs. Performance parts are considered to be more like 800 shaders, 40 texture units and 32ROPs. The Performance part said to be better than 4770/4850; while coming in at <75W; that's 4670 territory! So if that’s close to true, it sounds like ATI has their 40Nm working for them. Those are the details we should have cemented at Pre-Launch.

As to the process and wafer production issues... By all accounts that's behind them, as the 4770 gave a good trial and ironed out the issues at TSMC. It's said that ATI turn on production right at the beginning of July, so 10-12 week, has production silicon cut and at their AIB's mid-to-late September. Another 8-14 days for assembly, test and shipping, so early October strong inventory should be available.

There will "in all probability" (once the NDA’s are unleash) be the obligatory high-end cards at E-tailers; 5850 and 5870 list priced at about $200 and $300 respectively, with asking pricing discounted approximately 10%. Although, don’t pull the trigger until October when the
Sponsor
#1 Casecutter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: More News or Boasting? Reply with quote

I can't tell if this is hot air or smoke?

ATI's CTO (Chief Technology Officer) for graphics, Eric Demers is saying the new silicon, (Evergreen) signals “the biggest conceptual changes since the release of the R600”. He is also indicating, “this is the last core change in ATI's GPU design”. So that would indicate another architecture platform is slated for future cards, which have been on and 8-10 month cycle.

Given the RV770 silicon generally retained the architecture of say the R600; although vastly superior advancements from the original in developments like, memory controller with GDDR5, reducing the die-size while upping transistor count, all while improving on energy consumption. Demers’ communiqué that the RV870 should be again a leap forward in the micro-architecture compared to RV770 might be slightly audacious.

Hum that’s some absolutely some big boasting... as to it being true, we’ll have to wait!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: