Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ben's New Computer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 Ben

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Ben's New Computer Reply with quote

Death of a Friend
You know how it happens. My trusty 4-year old computer (my main home PC) had been shutting down randomly for the past year, but it wasn’t often enough to force me to replace it. Then it started happening every time, and when I finally got it to boot, Windows reported a series of disk errors. That was apparently the last dying interaction between me and this system, as an attempt to reboot resulted only in the click of death from the aged hard drive.

It was bittersweet since it is always sad to see a trusted PC end its useful days, but I was secretly hoping that this day would come so that I could seize the opportunity to upgrade to a completely new system. Luckily I am paranoid about data loss (rightfully so, considering the circumstances) and had everything backed up so that there was no real data loss. My final diagnosis after several attempts at resuscitation is that the motherboard failed (probably a capacitor finally let the smoke out).

Replacement
The old system cost me about $700 at the time it was built (December 2003), and the new system I spec’d out and ordered came out to about $900 provided all of the rebates actually come back. Let’s take a look at the before and after comparison:

The Build
The build process was uneventful, taking about 3 hours including a few beers and setting up everything to be photographed. The Lian Li LI PC-A05B Case was really awesome to work with, as it has the perfect blend of compactness and internal layout. The ASUS V-60 92mm Vapo Bearing CPU Cooler used in this build is a true beast as y
Sponsor
#1 bestdeals

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Must be nice!
#2 c2nah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Sweet rig Ben. I have read that the extra ram does get allocated to assist with video in the 32bit systems. So I have gone to 4GB in my XP rigs also. The problem with building these is once you get it configured and the software you like installed, it is the same old thing again. At least you should be good to go for a few yrs.
#3 CompWiz17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

nice system. I would have recommended a different power supply though. Thermaltake's aren't the best, and their Purepower PSU's are inferior to their Toughpower ones. The Antec Earthwatts 500watt PSU that was recently on sale would have been a better choice.
#4 kent08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what is the approx total cost on this baby ???
#5 mlpkar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I sure building the box was nice to achieve.
#6 Pei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Good job Ben, I can’t believe you stick to a 4 year old system until now. All is good but I would have made some change to the setup.

Like #3 said, I would have picked a smaller and more efficient power supply. You are using a small case and Earthwatts series have too many cables for such a small case. The Neo HE 550 I am using has quieter fan and cable management to make the interior "neat". Your current cable routing is a mess.

I would have also gone with the new 6mb cache C2D CPU. It is 10% faster at the same speed and more future proof with SSE4.
#7 jdev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Very nice!
#8 JohnnyWad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

lol - Frugality at it's best! Ben, you are still using rebates and building your own PCs? I would have thought after your first million you no longer have time for this. And Ben does make lots of $$$
#9 bigsister49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your new computer have an "anti-bacon" filter?
#10 nuisance

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed by forum Administrator
#11 clickwir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Ben goofed! Ram is installed wrong. Should have the sticks in either both yellow or both red. Not 1 yellow and 1 red.

At least any motherboard that I've worked on that uses dual channel has specific slots for each channel. Most are now, like this board, color coded. Move the ram from the red slot to the yellow slot and you'll get some better performance.

Editor's Note Yep you saw that, I reconfigured it after the first boot but the pics were already taken.
#12 2133

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft...You passed up on http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=DDPCFN1&cs=19&kc=19&dgc=CJ&cid=24471&lid=566643

You totally could've saved about $500. You've lost your Ghetto dog roots.
#13 praetorian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

But #12, that has no AGP slot Wink
#14 pug_ster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I'm surprised a maxtor 160gb hard drive has survived that long. I recently have to replace my brother's maxtor 160gb hard drive because it started sputtering out bad sectors. Over the years I have replaced flaked out Pentium 4 and Athlon pc's so 4 years of use is pretty good.

Editor's Note Actually the original hard drive in that PC failed a year ago. It was a Maxtor 160GB EIDE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: