Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading to a Blu-Ray drive in my laptop?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 Displacement

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Upgrading to a Blu-Ray drive in my laptop? Reply with quote

I recently bought an HP dv7t laptop from a deal here on the site and overall I'm happy with it, but I wasn't thinking when I pulled the trigger and bought a DVD burner instead of a Blu-ray player. I own a lot of blu-rays and I'd like to use my laptop to play them, so is there any way for me to get and install an HP blu-ray drive? The drive door needs to be a specific shape so I think it'd be tough to do, but I'm certainly no expert.

Any advice?
Sponsor
#1 PacoDeth

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alot of times its just a normal laptop dvd drive with a faceplate on the drive door. You may be able to just remove the faceplate and reattach it to the new drive. As long as you are comfortable taking apart your laptop, you could probably open it up and remove the current drive thats in there by unhooking it and sliding it out of its slot, then take a look to see if the faceplate is removeable.

All of this would of course void your warranty I'm guessing, so do so at your own risk.
#2 dave_c

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't void the warranty to take the optical drive out, but if you broke the faceplate taking it off that might not be covered by warranty, it has fragile little plastic tabs you have to flex slightly.

Generally instead of a clip holding it in, there is a screw on the back either visible or behind a hatch at the rear of the drive. There may be an icon molded into the plastic showing it is for the drive instead of a screw holding the case together.

Use a screwdriver with a very good tip, often some screws are held in with locktite and need a bit of force to break free, but optical drives not so often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: