Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I hate rebates

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you hate rebates ?
yes
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
no
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

#0 mw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: I hate rebates Reply with quote

I think rebates are a way for a vendor to make their products look low cost but in the end its the consumer that always seems to get screwd in filling out the forms , cutting this out, sending that in and then in 8-12 weeks hope for a payout.. The Vendor usually hopes we dont remember that we sent it in.
Sponsor
#1 dave_c

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the deal as a whole.

Sometimes the product costs more before the rebate. Other times it does not.

I have a long history of filling out rebates that disproves your theory that the consumer gets screwed. As a percentage years ago I would get back approximately 85% of rebates I submitted, but that % has gone up in more recent years to roughly 95%.

So, factor for it... if a rebate is for $10 and you get back 95% of rebates, would you want the product at (price paid - (95% * $10 rebate))?

More importantly, I only buy something I wanted enough that I would pay the regular price for if I hadn't found a deal w/rebate on it.

Remembering rebates is not hard to do, I just keep a file folder with folders for individual products purchased that have a rebate and include links. When the rebate payment comes I move the folder to another as a record for warranty, info, driver backup, etc. purposes.

In the end my point is I was aware of how much time I spent versus the discount received and considered it when deciding whether to buy products based on the rebated price. That strategy has definitely saved me a good % on purchases, I wouldn't bother if it were only a small % off the next best sale price without a rebate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: