Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canon EOS Rebel T2i
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 TheKenChan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Canon EOS Rebel T2i Reply with quote

Product: EOS Digital Rebel T2i
Manufacturer: Canon
MSRP: $900
Lowest Historical Price: $810 [url=http://bensbargains.net/link/canon-eos-rebel-t2i-142394/?linkid=0"target="_new]History[/url]

Introduction
Move over T1i, the Canon EOS Rebel T2i is here to take the mantle as Canon’s newest flagship entry-level DSLR. The T2i boasts an 18 megapixel sensor, 1.04 million pixel 3:2 LCD screen, as well as a 63-zone metering sensor and improved movie functionality -- features borrowed from its big brother, the Canon 7D. Add to the mix some full-featured HD video recording, and I knew I had to take the plunge and check it out.

Specifications

Canon seems to have pulled out all the stops for this model and stuffed it with features that put it very close to the next model up, the Canon 7D. With a similar 18 megapixel sensor, 63-zone iFCL metering and full HD video mode with manual exposure control and selectable frame rates, those considering their first DSLR or a second one for shooting video would be hard-pressed to not give this camera some serious consideration. Rounding out the rest of the features is a 3.0” 3:2 1.04 million pixel LCD screen, 3.7fps continuous shooting, 100-6400 ISO, and an external microphone socket.

Review
At first glance, the T2i looks and feels like any other DSLR from Canon’s Digital Rebel line: compact, lightweight, and plasticky. The build quality is nothing to write home about. The camera body with kit lens is small and lightweight-feeling, and the handgrip is deep and more than adequate. These qua
Sponsor
#1 daihung

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I want one!
#2 TheBS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Putting the build quality aside, the T2i is an outstanding camera at an outstanding price. It doesn't have all of the advanced controls, but anyone who isn't a dSLR expert really won't appreciate them anyway. The T2i is a great mid entry-level camera, and the features are the best in its class. It's worth the few extra bucks over a typical entry-level dSLR.

If build quality is really an issue, I'd skip the Nikon D5000 (sorry, I care none for Nikon D40/D60/D3000/D5000 units -- I'd go right to a D90 or better) and go for something like the sub-$500 Pentax K-x. You'll save a lot of money and get one heck of an entry-level camera for the price. The K-x w/18-55 and 55-300 lenses is often under $700 total.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Report as spam Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
#3 madpunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Got mine at Beach. Cash back from Bing. Bought the packaged printer, got the $400 rebate, sold the printer on ebay.

At the end of the day, I got the camera and kit lens for <$600.

Beach shipped quickly and I received it in under a week.

Now, on to choosing my next lenses...

Ben, give us some deals on Ef/S lenses please

Last edited by madpunter on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
#4 mrmorality

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Who cares what Ben's thinks of cameras? If you buy a camera on their advise you're about as stupid as you look.

HAVE A SUCKER!
#5 superd00d3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

#4, by reviewing an item Ben can claim it as a business expense. Ben is just stickin it to the man. Smile
#6 fossil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

get us out of the recession and spend like there is no tomorrow.
#7 gsanchez

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

#2 why would you skip Nikon? Just curious... I just bought my wife one for her B-Day for $850... Every time I make a big purchase I often feel a lil regret...
#8 peanut_man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

#7, I think #2 is referring to build quality which means better material / manufacturer used for the camera body construction. But honestly, unless you are pro and looking to exceed the 300,000 to 500,000 rated shutter life, it's really just a 'feel good' factor for non-pros. And if you have $ to spend, that's not a problem.

Unfortunately I think too many people spend way too much time digging thru spec numbers, and online reviews (oops sorry ben), and shots of test charts without actually taken the particular camera(s) and lens(es) out for a real photo session. (See "Online Expert: Level 0" here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm) In truth, the modern DSLR cameras perform so well, it almost doesn't really matter what you use. Individual photography knowledge and skill vastly impact the result more than what the camera itself ever could.

That said, I bought the D5000 refurb with kit lens a few months back for $525 and I think I have gotten fantastic results with it. Here's my collection of pics taken from a D5000, mostly on the kit lens or the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G or the (cheap!) Tamron 10-24mm:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39280169@N04/sets/72157623525415850/

Would you think my photos will be better if I have spend almost double that on a T2i? I highly doubt it. Your Camera Doesn't Matter: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm
#9 jughead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

If the T2i has the color meter and new AF from the 7D, it's a keeper. The 7D is a huge leap forward for Canon.
#10 watapolo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Nice 1080p... I heard has similar processor as the 5D. It is just that T2I is cropped.
#11 gsanchez

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

#7 Those are some amazing pics, Thank you for the reply!! Makes me feel way better about the purchase!
#12 fossil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

look at these measurbators. haha....
#13 skygoing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

After debating for a while I picked up a Nikon D5000 with the basic lens and a LowPro bag, 8 Gig card, extra battery, and wireless remote while on vacation in NYC the other day at B&H. It's a refurb, but for all that after tax I was still under $640 and I have to say, I'm in fricking love with the camera! I am one of those guys who'll deliberate for weeks without end before I buy anything more than $100 or so if there are similar products in the market for similar prices. After going back and forth between a T1i/T2i/D5000 I finally just put all of them in my hand and went with what felt the most natural. In the end all of them are great cameras and it's the photographers skill and creativity that'll make the difference, at this level of camera.
#14 lawnsprinkler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Nikon D90 supposedly has better build quality but this has better features. If you need 1080p or a mic input for video, get this. If you're not intending to invest thousands more dollars on an integrated system that Nikon and Canon offer, get the much cheaper Pentax kx so you can buy an old Pentax k-mount lens or two & take advantage of the camera's built in image stabilization. According to dpreview, the Pentax kx has better build quality as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: