Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony Vaio VPC-F1190XCTO 16.4" Notebook

View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 Wallace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Sony Vaio VPC-F1190XCTO 16.4" Notebook Reply with quote

Product: Sony VAIO VPC-F1190XCTO 16.4" Notebook
Manufacturer: Sony
MSRP: $1450 as configured (varies by configuration)
Lowest Historical Price: $1084 History

Introduction
Earlier this year, Sony revamped their 16.4" VAIO F series notebooks with Intel's brand-spanking-new Core i7 mobile processors. Since I was in the market for a good all-around laptop, I decided to custom build a VAIO VPC-F1190X of my own. I knew the hyper-threading-enabled quad-core processor would deliver blazing fast performance, but what I really wanted to find out was if this laptop could shine as a full-fledged desktop replacement. Click on to read my impressions.

Unboxing and First Impressions

When my VAIO arrived in its small box, I noticed that, aside from the laptop and charger, there was nothing more than a quick start guide and the Sony catalog -- no system restore DVD, no extra software bundle, no accessories destined for the trash. The VPC-F1190X is a hefty 6 lbs, and once out of the box, it immediately took up a significant amount of desktop space with its 15.5" x 10.5" dimensions.

Specs
When I was ordering the VAIO, I knew I wanted more than a basic laptop. I wanted to watch Blu-ray movies along with doing more demanding tasks. So I configured it with an Intel Core i7-720QM processor, 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, a 320GB 5400RPM hard drive, 4GB DDR3-1333 memory, a Geforce GT 330m 1GB dedicated graphics card, 1920 x 1080 LCD, Wireless N, Bluetooth, a backlit keyboard, 6-cell battery and, of course, the Blu-ray drive. The grand total cam
Sponsor
#1 LJW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Why bother with blu-ray, you're still watching on a 16" screen. This is not a desktop replacement, it's really a desktop computer with built-in UPS and a tiny screen. Fail.
#2 hurl3.0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

is this a contest? enter me in!
#3 ps_fedex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Is this an ad? What kinda nonsense is this?
#4 BenBargains

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

It doesnt give it glowing reviews so you can't say this is an ad. It however is interesting to learn the sony ware controls some of the features so you "shouldn't" remove it. However then I like this even less.
#5 Solow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Who pays a 1g for laptops anymore? The batteries only last a year or two. These portable computers have all become disposable items.
#6 smartadze

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Awright you dweebs: back in line! And show some love for Ben's new laptop!
#7 dave_c

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Comment Reply with quote

LJW wrote:
Why bother with blu-ray, you're still watching on a 16" screen. This is not a desktop replacement, it's really a desktop computer with built-in UPS and a tiny screen. Fail.

It's all relative. Suppose you're a 5'10", 120 lb college student then yeah it's kinda big and heavy.

Contrast that with a 6'2" 200 lb full grown adult, the size of the person increased more than the size of the laptop.

It's certainly not what I would want to carry around all day, but for less occasional use it's not a big deal to carry 4 lbs more to get a larger screen, numpad, higher performance... plus something nice you might want to use longer so the price difference starts to cancel out unless you break it somehow.

On that front there is a lot of variability in ruggedness on the low end models. For example some ~$400 Compaqs are built well but some $500 Compaq/HPs not so much.
#8 grahambill

oink
oink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one.
#9 kimmy34

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm tempting but it seems a bit over priced. I hope they develop some long lasting batteries this time. :?
#10 angelinalove

oink
oink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony Vaio is my favourite one among the all laptop and it really looks so standard from all othes. Its great review!
#11 hadtoxps

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I love how people complain about hauling an extra few pounds. join the military. only 100 pounds of gear to carry while running all day. poor college kids and their 6 pounds. man up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: