Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cisco Linksys E1000, Cisco Valet M10, Cisco Linksys WRT160N User Review

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 destiny168

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Cisco Linksys E1000, Cisco Valet M10, Cisco Linksys WRT160N User Review Reply with quote

Cisco Linksys E1000, Cisco Valet M10, Cisco Linksys WRT160N User Review

Purchasing the Cisco Linksys E1000 Wireless-N router in April of 2010 was my first attempt at upgrading my home wireless network from wireless G to wireless N. The Cisco Linksys E1000 is a re-branded Cisco Linksys WRT160N. A new Cisco router brand, the “Valet” series, features a Cisco Valet M10 with preconfigured software and a set up software wizard to aid non-technical consumers with setting up their home wireless network. All three routers have exact same hardware, chipset, features and performance. You may even call them the Cisco-Linksys Triplets!

Cisco Linksys E1000 or Cisco Linksys WRT160N (Retails for $59.99 to $79.99)

Cisco Valet M10 (Retails for $89.99 to $99.99)

Specifications:

· Broadcom 4716 @ 300MHz Processor

· 2.4GHz Band, 802.11 A,B,G,N…Wireless-N transfer speeds up to 300Mbps (Theoretical)

· 4 x Ethernet Ports 10/100

· 2 Internal Antennas

· Can Use Third Party Firmware

Home Test Results: Home size – 1500 sqft

Setting up the router with the included set-up CD was a breeze. The first thing I noticed was better range for my laptop. I can connect to the router from outside my garage or at the front of my home property (approximately 100 ft radius from router) and still get a strong connection. My internet download speed was faster.

When I change the channel width to 40MHz to optimize wireless N throughput speeds, devices that are not wireless N can no longer connect to the router (which is normal). I tried streaming 1080P videos and it was just 1 or 2 Mbps better than a wir
Sponsor
#1 dave_c

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than low signal/intermittent connections, routers don't effect whether your network shares/etc are more or less usable (unless you intentionally block that), otherwise it's still the fault of the client systems.
#2 destiny168

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_c wrote:
Other than low signal/intermittent connections, routers don't effect whether your network shares/etc are more or less usable (unless you intentionally block that), otherwise it's still the fault of the client systems.

No, I did not intentionally block them nor was it the fault of the clients and devices.

The network SAMBA, UPNP, and Shares permissions were set correctly... I would use my 7 year old Linksys WRT54G, 5 year Dlink-Wifi G, and eventually my new Netgear WNDR3700 all worked with no issues Even when I hard wired the clients and devices via CAT6 or CAT5 to the Linksys E1000 or Linksys E3000 I was experiencing the same issues as if they were using a WiFi connection... Cisco Linksys tech support couldn't help resolve the issue and I'm very techy myself...

I understand all user experiences vary... I'm not being bias or anything... I just wrote what I experienced - unfortunately I had a bad experience with the new Cisco Linksys "E" series and I love Cisco and Linksys products due to my experience with my old Linksys WRT54G...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: