Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP 311 Intel Atom Nvidia Ion 11" Netbook

View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0  Barbarossa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: HP 311 Intel Atom Nvidia Ion 11" Netbook Reply with quote

Product: HP 311 Intel Atom Nvidia Ion 11" Netbook
Manufacturer: HP
MSRP: $605 as configured (varies by configuration)

Introduction
The HP 311, released late last year, was one of the first netbooks featuring the new NVidia ION graphics card with the GeForce 9400M chipset. I had read numerous reviews of the card with surprising claims for an onboard GPU. I was in the market for something very portable to take on the road without sacrificing power, so I chose the most powerful configuration available to see just how robust this netbook could be. Click to find out if it lived up to its hype.

First Impressions

The 311 is rounded and glossy, with a white spiral design that contrasts with the black lid. The entire computer is made of sturdy plastic and feels very solid. There's no noticeable give anywhere in the chassis. The keyboard is almost full size and is much more comfortable to type on than other netbooks I've used in the past.

My biggest gripe is the trackpad. It's the same color and texture as the rest of the frame. Because of this, it's tough to know if your wrist strays accidentally into its area and you may get some stray clicks as you're typing.

Flipping it over, the 311 has a large access panel where you can reach the RAM, the hard drive, wireless card and a slot for a WAN card (if you've got a spare one handy). This easy access is ideal for those who want a bit more control over their hardware, and in the world of netbooks, this is almost completely unheard of.

Hardware
I ordered my 311 with the most power available. I upgraded the stock CPU to the Intel Atom Processor N2
Sponsor
#1 Reamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I am a very happy HP mini 311-1000NR owner, and I have a couple things to add to this review.
It can play 1080P video perfectly (in flash and MPC-HC), I have been using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and it will play if you are using the latest drivers from nVidia's site along with the latest version of directx. You have to manually update to the latest version, windows update will not update it, microsoft.com/directx. The latest version of flash will support 1080p playback if you are using 11
The trackpad drivers provided by HP are crap, if you want it to work the way it's supposed to go to toshiba's website, and bring up drivers for the Satellite T135-S1310 it's driver will work on the mini and will give you pinch to zoom, circular scrolling, and it runs MUCH better, movement is smoother and more accurate.
This netbook is a dream for people that like to tinker, using a modified bios available from myhpmini.com you can overclock the CPU, my mini has a Atom N270 CPU with a stock speed of 1.6ghz, mine is very stable at 2.3ghz, have yet to get any signs of instability, temperatures increased about 5c battery life does not seem to suffer. This raised my Windows Experience Index to 3.1 with the CPU still being the limiting factor. Do not venture into overclocking unless you know what you are doing, it is VERY easy to brick your laptop with one wrong setting, be prepared to take the entire netbook apart if you are intending to overclock it, if you don't understand things like front side bus dividers, or understand FSB ratio settings, do NOT try it.
If you install the modified bios you can also upgrade the WiFi, the dell 1510 mini-pcie is compatible (very few models are) which will upgrade it to WiFi N, these cards can be had on ebay for ~$20.
#2 Reamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

There's a great forum built around modding these at myhpmini.com
If you are in the market for a mini-311, they can be had for around $300 if you watch bing.com/cashback HP has been running 25% cashback about once a month, which makes this netbook a steal.

Last edited by Reamer on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
#3 dony71

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I have mine for about 1 year already
I don't like windows so I hack it running mac osx snow leopard
Everything is running well, except wifi
But you can change wifi card to old wifi in HP1000 series
and it works flawless.
Not bad for getting imac netbook for $300 budget Smile
For anybody who want to install mac osx, instruction below link
http://mymacbookmini.com/guides/hp-mini-311/544/
#4 dave_c

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dony71 and Reamer posting suspiciously alike?
#5 Reamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I would never consider gimping this beautiful machine with OSX
#6 fakku011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really looks cool! but anyone have a HP envy here? or this one is better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Report as spam Visit poster's website
#7 benpark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

i like it
#8 bcabie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

is ram upgradeable?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: