Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Panasonic HDC-SD5 1080p SDHC Camcorder
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 Ben

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Panasonic HDC-SD5 1080p SDHC Camcorder Reply with quote

Product: Panasonic HDC-SD5
Manufacturer: Panasonic
MSRP: $999.99 [BizRate]
Lowest Historical Price: $648 [History]

Introduction
I was looking for a digital camcorder for some time, but I was unwilling to fork over the dough because I felt that the entire industry was in a transition period with various intermediary and soon-to-be obsolete formats. The future of digital video is in solid state recording and HD video, and the Panasonic Palmcorder HDC-SD5 seemed on paper to fit the bill quite nicely.

It is Panasonic's first consumer HDTV camcorder that boasts a full 1920 x 1080 resolution, the maximum resolution supported by HDTV standards. Moreover, it records to industry standard Secure Digital High Capacity cards. As of this writing, 8GB SDHC cards can be had for as little as $34 and can store 120 minutes of full resolution video. It sports a Leica Dicomar lens with 10x optical zoom and a 2.7" LCD monitor. The folks at Panasonic have also thrown in their VW-BN1 DVD burner, which allows you to directly burn your videos from the SD5 to DVD without using a PC.

Ergonomics
One of the enticing aspects of going to media as small as SD is that the design is no longer constrained around the size and shape of the media, as is the case with tape, HDD, and DVD recorders. The SD5 fits comfortably in your right palm, and the strap can be adjusted fo
Sponsor
#1 CompWiz17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I have Pinnacle studio 11 Professional, and it's a pretty nice video editing suite. It doesn't have all the capabilities of some of the higher end video editing software(limited to 2 tracks of video plus an overlay track), but it does have a lot of nice features, and I've used it for a few short movies, with chroma keying.

Also, if you plan to film shots while moving around, and want that nice professional smooth movement look, check out this guide on how to build a "steadycam" for $14. These usually cost hundreds of dollars if you just buy one.
here is the link to the guide: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/
and here is an example video, being filmed by someone sprinting down a hallway: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/test2.mov
#2 billy_bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

haha, I looked at the site w/ the steady cam and was like "Hmm, that guy looks familiar..."

Suffice to say, Johnny Chung Lee is a pretty smart guy with a new claim to fame that is probably a little more interesting to most than his steadycam: http://www.wiimoteproject.com/
#3 mqtpaladon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

HV20 is better
#4 CompWiz17

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2: yeah, he has developed some really interesting things that work with just a wiimote. It's about time Nintendo got around to hiring him. Smile

Last edited by CompWiz17 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
#5 CompWiz17

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Ben, is there any chance you could try a bit of chroma-keying with this camcorder, and see how it works for that?
#6 leo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I'm more interested in the Sony HDR-SR7 AVCHD High Definition HDD Camcorder. It has 60GB. $1200. Kinda of pricey. I'm looking for a good deal on it.
#7 cadaver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Sony sucky. I have a Panasonic camcorder (3ccd). It rocks.
#8 GB123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about this merchant? The price seems to low to be true. $599.00 and free shipping.

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=902392
#9 poorman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Stay away from nj/ny merchants with bargain prices. They use different names but same tactics. http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~threads/cat_id_~22/id_~13369/forum_id_~145
#10 jakoub

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

should I wait for the panasonice SD9 or HS9 that's coming out late March?
#11 jackenigma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

It should be worth it to wait. Not unless you need it now.
#12 VinZant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Hey Ben... when you scroll over the image on the main page it says Canon HDC-SD5... FYI
#13 robek204

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Ben, that is incorrect you said "It is Panasonic's first consumer HDTV", this is a second model, it is a cheaper version of the original HDV camcorder "HDC-SD1", it is much better it had bigger 3CCD system, making it a much better quality images, the "HDC-SD5" is actually a cheaper version of the original camera, although it looks better, which I prefer a better image quality than a pimped-up version
#14 brownman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: damn Reply with quote

lol looks nice
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: