Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filters and categories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Feature Request
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 timg11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Filters and categories Reply with quote

I come to Bens Bargains looking for computer and technology items. Recently, I see an increasing number of items I'm not interested in (clothing, razors, vacuum cleaners, etc.) that makes it harder to find items of interest.

Sure there are filters, but there are two big problems that need to be addressed to make them usable:

1) AFAIK, the filter settings are not stored with my profile or in cookies. Every time I return to the site, the filters are forgotten and must be re-set. These filter settings must be saved to persist between visits. (including the previously mentioned "expired" items checkbox")

2) Selecting categories from a long flat list is tedious and annoying. Since there are so many categories, the list should be presented as a tree. At the top level, have no more than five categories (computer, electronics, appliance, apparel, other). Checking a top level category selects all sub categories. The sub category tree can expanded to select or unselect specific sub categories.

PS for tri state treeviews see: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/tree/Tri-State_Tree_View.aspx and http://www.jstree.com/
Sponsor
#1 Bens_Admin

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback, we'll investigate this.
#2 timg11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new "tech only" selection is a step in the right direction, but the settings are still not saved as cookie or with my profile, as far as I can tell.

It doesn't even save for the session. If I click on the home link to Ben's Bargains, the settings are reset to defaults.
#3 timg11

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again - It's been a few months - are there any plans in the works to make the tech and expired settings sticky?

It would also be handy to have a few filter settings saved with a user profile. As I mentioned in my first post, it is tedious to set them, so if we can't make that better, at least let us save them once we create them.
#4 Bens_Admin

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
Hi again - It's been a few months - are there any plans in the works to make the tech and expired settings sticky?

It would also be handy to have a few filter settings saved with a user profile. As I mentioned in my first post, it is tedious to set them, so if we can't make that better, at least let us save them once we create them.

A moment ago, I loaded the webpage in Firefox 7, selected "non-Tech Only", clicked "Go" to load the results page, then closed Firefox. Upon reopening Firefox and going to the Ben's homepage, "Non-Tech Only" is remembered.

Next I tested Filters, selecting only Monitors, (deselecting non-tech only)clicking go, and closing Firefox. Upon opening it again, it remembered the Monitor filter.

I couldn't get the settings to stick using IE8, if I closed and reopened the browsers they were gone, BUT in the same session if I reloaded the homepage they were still remembered.

It is not likely the settings will be applied to the user profile. The site front end is custom while the user profiles are phpBB. For whatever reason it is not working with IE, it seems the solution is to use Firefox or if you are using Firefox (or IE), to fiddle with browser settings to see if that makes it work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Feature Request All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: