Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powermonkey eXplorer Solar Charger
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 Ben

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Powermonkey eXplorer Solar Charger Reply with quote

Product: Powermonkey eXplorer
Manufacturer: PowerTraveller
MSRP: $130 [BizRate]
Lowest Historical Price: $10 [History]

Introduction
The PowerMonkey eXplorer is marketed as a backup power supply to give your gadgets an extra boost of battery power. With modern gadgetry placing ever increasing demands for portable power, the PowerMonkey eXplorer Solar Charger comes at just the right time to save you from running out of juice while away from a wall outlet. The standard price is about $110, but when they started offering a whopping $100 rebate on it (bringing the price to $10 AR), I had to pick one up to give it try.

Update: The $100 rebate arrived on 7/21/08.

In The Box
The PM eXplorer comes in a tidy zip case, with everything tightly packed into individual compartments. It also comes with an array of international power adapters. The two main components are the backup battery itself and the folding solar cell, which they call the "solar slave." You'll find a myriad of accessory adapters included that fit almost any portable power application.

Specifications
The specifications claim as follows: 40 hours of battery life for iPods, 96 hours for Mobile Phone
Sponsor
#1 LJW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

"Click here" link goes to the review... Can these still be had for $10?
#2 Lester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I guess this will be useful if you often carry all your gadgets away from civilization by foot or by bike.
#3 topcat903

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Did you get the money for the rebate? $100 rebate for $110 price item has a 99% chance of not going through IMO.

And where did you post the link to this deal again? (Being a deal site and all)
#4 ali_lapointe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

If you click on the "History" link at the top of the page, it shows that Buy.com sold it with the $100 rebate several times in the past. All the old posts (and their rebates) have expired.

Even if they revived this ... a $100 rebate? Not sure you'd want to take that kind of a crapshoot.
#5 nahcyrag

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

click on the HISTORY button you will have your link to the old $10 after MIR price.
#6 mitda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Maybe if you're dyslexic, don't know how to fill out a form correctly, and don't keep copies. 99% of $100 rebates should come through just fine.
#7 biggin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

rebate.. more like bacon challenged
*smirk*
#8 MuchoTumbao

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Just one word to consider before you invest $110 in this: Connect3D.
#9 ali_lapointe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

#6 -- "99% of $100 rebates should come through just fine." Thanks for the anecdotal statistic, that's extremely helpful. Feel free to gamble $100 on a device of dubious value by all means. No, I take that back, I guess this would be useful if you're planning to take your PSP to Sierra Leone.
#10 akayzwhiz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

cool...
#11 most_devious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Reminds me of the people who were scammed by Cyber Rebate before they went under.
#12 hitanykey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I purchased this back around May 15th and sent in the rebate a couple of days after. To my surprise on Monday I found the check in the mailbox. I've had a hell of a lot more trouble getting rebates that were significantly less than this.

As for the device I'm pleased with the operation and actual usefulness of it.
#13 Chrisman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

two potatoes, salt water, and some copper wire would do the same thing.
#14 wayway2fetch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

This looks amzinggg! Except not sure if carrying this around would be so entertaining now would it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: