Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joby Gorillapod
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 Ben

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Joby Gorillapod Reply with quote

Product: Gorillapod Original
Manufacturer: Joby
MSRP: $24.95
Lowest Historical Price: $18 [History]

Preface
If you’re like most people these days, your point and shoot digital camera is never very far away so that you can capture every memorable moment in excruciating megapixel detail. Image stabilization technology has come a long way to mitigate your shaking hands, but there are some situations where only a tripod will do.

Review
Sponsor
#1 mlpkar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I purchased and these are really good to have.. Enjoyed it and also bought for my nephews. They liked them.
#2 michigan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

If you have not yet experimented with your digital pocket camera in taking low light photos on a tripod such as this, when you finally do, you will be pleasantly surprised at the photos you can take!

I have been taking this kind of tripod and others on my annual european vacations for the last 6 years & take what I think are incredible photos that the average person cannot take. (If you had one of these tripods, then you can very easily take these photos!).

For example, inside great european churches, the light is typically not too bright and the camera wants to use the flash. But as the area is so large, the flash will not do the job. If you put your camera on a tripod such as this, turn OFF the flash, and use the self timer feature (2 second delay), you will get incredible photos. (The self timer is needed so that the camera is not being bumped/touched during the long exposure that the camera will automatically select.)

My Canon SD800 also has a SLOW SYNC flash mode that I use in certain situations. This mode combines the required slow shutter speed needed to let light from dimmer backgrounds expose properly along with the flash to illuminate the subjects in the foreground. I used this while in the caves of Nerja in Spain to capture the cavernous(!) background while capturing my wife and I in the foreground.

I give these away to friends so that they can take these cool low light photos and also so that they can get in their own photos! My wife's friend had a lot of photos of her new baby dautgter, but no photos of the the whole family. This year's Christmas photo card had all 3 of them and a special note of thanks to me. Try it out!
#3 psonn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I have no complaints about my Gorillapod. It's great, and I only have two things to add:

First, make sure you stick with Joby. Several companies make products that look the same, however they do not perform nearly as well.
Second, the weight limit shouldn't be a major concern. I use this with my Canon S5 IS which is 15.9oz without batteries and something like 19oz with them and I haven't had a problem.
#4 billy_bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Awww, it is hugging the thermos, that is adorable.

Tripods are awesome. This thing bends?! That means it is even more awesome! And it hugs thermoses! Hot damn, I love it.
#5 cadaver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Nice product. It will grab almost anything.
#6 preferbasic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

hmmm, I could really go somewhere with this. But I won't.
#7 jerryslacks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

i have this. i got it from joby.com the manufacturer for pretty cheap i used coupon code gorillapodlove i am not sure if it still works. they said fedex "lost an entire shipment" of theirs so it delayed my crap by a week but i think theyre just lazy. it may b a strange one person operation because the person i spoke with in the email and the person who answered the phone when i called were the same person. very weird. its still lowdown and ghetto though. the tripod has been okay so far not as useful as i imagined at first but it will come in handy one day i m sure.
#8 jubb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I want one.
#9 stevenxpham

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

interesting concept
#10 Janus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wanted one because it was an interesting concept but I have an SLR and I'm afraid it won't support the weight. I can't get myself to spend the 50 bucks to get it and try it.
#11 johnnyh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nani?!
#12 jlee0417

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

i'm getting on for my nikon d80
#13 dutchsong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Room for improvement on the look
#14 kris27

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

i am getting it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: