Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The old rebate and pricematch hijinks..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 Myself

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: The old rebate and pricematch hijinks.. Reply with quote

Maybe this is just selective memory on my part, but I seem to recall when a lot more of the deals on this site were really clever retail acrobatics.

Example situation (and yes, it was CD-R media, this was a decade ago!):

Store 1 has a spindle of CD-R discs for $20
with a $10 rebate
and another $5 rebate.
So your final price is $5 plus tax and postage stamps.

Or, store 2 has the same product for $10 out the door.

What do you do?

Well, if you're a ghetto dog, you go to store 1, have 'em call store 2 to check stock, and then match store 2's price. It's now a $10 spindle, minus a $10 rebate, minus a $5 rebate, you make money on the deal.

Lately I haven't even seen the term "pricematch" on the site. Did they change the rules so these sorts of things are less common? Or did we all get old and realize time is worth money and just stop caring?
Sponsor
#1 dave_c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah deal hunters got lazy or tired of it when the reward for the work decreased. People do that more when they're younger but today's younger generation is too busy surfing Facebook and Youtube.

Driving to a store plus pricematch plus 2 rebates plus cost of gas these days might save you $5 off $10 but won't usually gain you $5.

Near giveaway deals on commodity items also seemed to dry up at some point. CD-Rs for example were free after rebate and so where the optical drives for a while. Now we have BR drives but DVD-RW drives seldom if ever made it to free after rebate.

There used to be deals like $20 off a Staples order for a HDD then it had a rebate plus there was a coupon code for a free set of luggage. There was a lot of coupon abuse that merchants caught on to and now they watch forums to see if someone finds a way to take advantage of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: