Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Driving away mavens
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Feature Request
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 bobkoure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Driving away mavens Reply with quote

Are you aware of the major advantage "mavens" give BB has over the other "deals" sites?
Sure, you need deals, and a decent page layout, but the reason I come here are the "mavens" - that is to say comments from people who are knowledgeable about either the product, the price, the merchant, or the rebate provider in any particular 'deal'
If you've read "The Tipping Point" (and if you haven't, I'd suggest you do), these area-specific experts who are willing to share their knowledge are called "mavens". IMHO mavens are why many folks browse here rather than some other "deals" site.

So... what is BB doing for mavens? Expecting them to read posts from juvenile posters and the "bacon" filter.

What to do?
- Allow users to filter out posts from other posters. Want to drive a maven away? Fill a comments list with things like "I farted" or "number 4 is canadian bacon". I'm not suggesting you ban those users (although you might want to look at users who have been "ignored" by a lot of other users), but just provide a more comfortable place for mavens
- Get rid of (or at least make it clear what's going to be affected by) the "bacon" filter. Let a maven go to the trouble of sharing his/her knowledge and then deface that with "bacon". Drive 'em away.

The only reason this hasn't been a disaster for BB (yet) is that no other deals sites have figured out how to get mavens to post regularly. If you leave things the way they are, and one or more other sites do catch on to this... you're screwed.

Bob
Sponsor
#1 toddsucks2

oink
oink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Driving away mavens Reply with quote

bobkoure wrote:
Are you aware of the major advantage "mavens" give BB has over the other "deals" sites?
Sure, you need deals, and a decent page layout, but the reason I come here are the "mavens" - that is to say comments from people who are knowledgeable about either the product, the price, the merchant, or the rebate provider in any particular 'deal'
If you've read "The Tipping Point" (and if you haven't, I'd suggest you do), these area-specific experts who are willing to share their knowledge are called "mavens". IMHO mavens are why many folks browse here rather than some other "deals" site.

So... what is BB doing for mavens? Expecting them to read posts from juvenile posters and the "bacon" filter.

What to do?
- Allow users to filter out posts from other posters. Want to drive a maven away? Fill a comments list with things like "I farted" or "number 4 is canadian bacon". I'm not suggesting you ban those users (although you might want to look at users who have been "ignored" by a lot of other users), but just provide a more comfortable place for mavens
- Get rid of (or at least make it clear what's going to be affected by) the "bacon" filter. Let a maven go to the trouble of sharing his/her knowledge and then deface that with "bacon". Drive 'em away.

The only reason this hasn't been a disaster for BB (yet) is that no other deals sites have figured out how to get mavens to post regularly. If you leave things the way they are, and one or more other sites do catch on to this... you're screwed.

Bob

Your MBA from the local community college hardly qualifies you to make this type of statement. Here's a thought: go get diarrhea.

sincerely,
toddsucks
#2 nuisance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Driving away mavens Reply with quote

Removed by forum Administrator
#3 bobkoure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, both my points got demonstrated - as I didn't write "c-a-n-a-d-i-a-n b-a-c-o-n" - but I guess I had to point that out as that phrase makes some sense in context.

BTW, bacon - I like your signature line
#4 nuisance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#5 nuisance_sucks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ admitted child coach
#6 nuisance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#7 nuisance_sucks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I admitted that YOU are a CHILD coach in many threads.
#8 nuisance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#9 nuisance_sucks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ LIAR. Edited my post? Don't think so. Otherwise it would say "edited".

You obviously just PWNED YOURSELF AGAIN. Damn you are so burp stupid.
#10 nuisance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#11 nuisance_sucks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you are, but what am I?
#12 nuisance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#13 toddsucks2

oink
oink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobkoure wrote:
Actually, both my points got demonstrated - as I didn't write "c-a-n-a-d-i-a-n b-a-c-o-n" - but I guess I had to point that out as that phrase makes some sense in context.

BTW, bacon - I like your signature line

Way to compliment someone that's really bringing a lot of quality to this website. Look at what has happened to your thread since your favorite person showed up.

sincerely,
toddsucks
#14 nuisance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Feature Request All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: