Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 920T GPS with Bluetooth & FM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 Ben

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: TomTom GO 920T GPS with Bluetooth & FM Reply with quote

Product: TomTom GO 920T
Manufacturer: TomTom
MSRP: $499.95
Lowest Historical Price: $300 [History]

Introduction
Having recently reviewed the mid-range Garmin Nuvi 360 as well as the low-end Magellan Maestro 3210, switching to the top of the line TomTom GO 920T promised to be a significant upgrade. This is TomTom's current top of the line GPS navigation system, with a dizzying array of features including Bluetooth, FM Transmitter, Enhanced Positioning Technology, Voice Input, Traffic, Map Share, and lots more. Does the TomTom GO 920T live up to its lofty specs? Read on to find out.

Unboxing
The TomTom GO 920T GPS comes in a very presentable box with glossy black accents. The packaging of the 920T & Accessories is very well done as you can see from the image gallery. A plethora of accessories is included to hook up your new GPS both at your desk & in your car. There is even a Bluetooth remote that can be used to operate the multimedia functions of the 920T.

Initial Impressions
Whereas the Garmin & Magellan offerings I reviewed earlier were pretty much ready to use from the get-go, the TomTom GO 920T required a little bit of configuration to get it operating the way I wanted. It is customizable in almost every aspect, including the capability for custom menus, map color schemes for day and night mode, background noise compensation - the list goes on and on. For those who enj
Sponsor
#1 toygua

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

why would they put fm radio into the gps device if most people are going to use this GPS device in a car?
#2 bakerzdosen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Uh, #1, hopefully you're kidding.

On the off chance you're not, it broadcasts FM, so you can listen to the thing (MP3's, directions, etc) on your car stereo. It works better than a cassette adapter...

Personally, I love TomTom stuff - most of the time. I like their map display better than Garmin's stuff. I like all the included spoken languages. I like that you can typically get additional voices (celebrity and the like). However, that's about it. Garmin's are better in pretty much every other way, especially customer service if you ever need it.
#3 nuisance=pedo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wants one of these so he can find all the playgrounds near his trailer park.

Why? because ...
#4 heddy_lamar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Can't find the Nuvi reveiew...
#5 bamb_i

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Nice review ! Well written and to the point. Thanks
#6 samben2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I found no reference to cost of updating maps. Did I miss it? I can not buy it without knowing about support, can you?
#7 Riuski

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I guess Ben paid $300 or less for this just like the rest of us did...
#8 billy_bob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Thankyou for the chapstick as a size comparison. That is something everyone uses and s it is a good measure of size. Something like a quarter or dollar bill is just silly.
#9 wayway2fetch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Been looking for a GPS this one looks very nice!
#10 kl_7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Thanks for the review...I'll be looking forward to the review for the Tom Tom 930. I've read other reviews saying it's a big improvement over the 920. The Tom Tom seems to be more affordable in comparison to Garmins with similar features.
#11 catboofus123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

anyother gps suggestions? somehting a lil cheaper? but just as great for it's price?
#12 manofgod72

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Great for people that need direction around town.
#13 barginn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like garmin better
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: