Ben's Bargains Forum Index
< Back to Ben's Bargains
Ben's Bargains
Where ghetto dogs come for the lowdown on forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logitech VX Nano Cordless Notebook Mouse
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
#0 Ben

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Logitech VX Nano Cordless Notebook Mouse Reply with quote

Product: Logitech VX Nano Laser Notebook Mouse
Manufacturer: Logitech
MSRP: $69.99 [BizRate]
Lowest Historical Price: $29 [History]

Introduction
Bluetooth has been all the rage recently with all the accessories being released, from headsets, headphones, mice, and more. Surprisingly, Logitech decided to break from the trend and make their newest performance notebook mouse using RF technology. Although a bluetooth mouse is nice to have since most new notebooks can be configured with built-in bluetooth, we were less than impressed with Logitech's latest V470 Bluetooth Mouse. RF is a tried and true technology for pointing devices, so the question is, does the Logitech VX Nano live up to our expectations?

Specs
Model: VX Nano
Hardware Platform: PC, Mac
Connectivity: Cordless (RF)
Movement Detection: Laser
Color: Black and Gray
Warranty: 3-year limited
Scroll: Up, Down and Side-to-Side
Buttons: 5 buttons

Setup
The package comes with a protective pouch for the mouse, 2 AAA batteries, a 2.4GHz receiver and the install CD. To use the mouse, install the batteries and plug the receiver in to an open USB port. There is also an on/off switch at the bottom of the mouse. Installation of the Logitech software is optional and simple. You can use it to swap button assignm
Sponsor
#1 indieman

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I do not understand the timing of this thread nor the content. This mouse came out really long time ago (not sure when) and this mouse is not superior in any way. If it was so superior then why did it used to be priced well below it's slightly bigger and much-much better brother VX Revolution??? I've had a pleasure to try both of these mice and in the case of VX Nano - not really a big pleasure. Because the mouse is intended to be ambidextrous the flat top just does not work for people with normal hand size - fingers sit awkwardly and in the beginning your hand actually tends to cramp up. Revolution does not have that problem as the mouse is ergonomic and fits into your hand perfectly.
Score Nano 0 : Revolution 1
The receiver is nice (small), but it does not offer the same versatility than the VX Revolution receiver. With Revolution you take the receiver, tuck it in the mouse and the mouse shuts off (not eating battery), but with Nano yes, you can leave the receiver in, but then you still have to hold down the small button to turn it off ergo although the receiver is bigger you are saving batteries because you know that when you threw your mouse is the bag it was shut off because the "freakishly large" received did not hit your bag when you put your notebook in it.
Score Nano 0 : Revolution 2
AND... Revolution has a zoom button built into the thing so while zooming around Excel a flicker of your finger can make everything look a lot bigger or a lot smaller...
Score Nano 0 : Revolution 3
Price... OK fine... Revolution used to be listed at higher price (of about $10), but looking at Logitech page they are even now... No additional points given...
WINNER - REVOLUTION
#2 kaivamei

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Indiemann is right. This beats the VX and MX Revolution models by having the tiny receiver, but it has much less functionality. Those other two mouse models are truly superb.
#3 SGinWL

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

#1, Ben's trying to give this away in the next week's giveaway.
THAT'S what makes this review relevent.
#4 sophiak

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

this mouse is great. when's it going to be 29$ again?
#5 zilym

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I bought my Logitech VX Nano last time it was on sale for $29 after rebate. I got my Logitech manufacturer's rebate a week ago without hassle.

Some bag on the Nano's forward and back buttons location, but I love it. I hate mice that have buttons on the side because then I end up accidently clicking them when I'm just trying to pick the mouse up off the desk temporarily. The Nano puts these buttons on top, so you never have an accidental mis-fire. As long as your index finger is flexible enough to reach up and over, you can quickly use these buttons with precision and ease.

#1 claims Nano doesn't turn off when you hide the receiver inside the mouse. He is just wrong. My Nano automatically turns off when hiding the receiver inside the mouse, just like his description of the VX Revolution. After you take the receiver back out, the mouse automatically turns on.

However, with the Nano, you'll probably just leave the receiver installed in your USB port, thus you won't use the automatic power off. The Nano does not have a slide switch to manually power off, instead it has a stupid recessed button on the bottom that you have to hold down for a second or two.

That hold down time is a waste of time for me and I end up just throwing the mouse in my bag without powering off. The mouse does not consume enough power to make this a big problem. My pair of FujiCell 1000mAH NiMH AAA batteries lasted over a month for me, and I used this mouse daily for 8+ hours a day doing software development and a little CAD drawing on weekends.

I believe the Logitech mouse software gave me a nice little system tray pop up warning when it decided I had about 5 days of power left. That gave me plenty of time to recharge a set of batteries before being left high and dry with a dead mouse.

Last edited by zilym on Thu May 01, 2008 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
#6 zilym

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

One more thing:

The mouse uses an invisible 848nm low power laser for its silky smooth and precise tracking. If you like teasing your co-workers, you might be disappointed with this mouse because you can't blind them with a bright red laser in the eye like you could using older optical mice.
#7 slug

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

got one, and like the super nano small dongle, and mouse works great.
#8 WilK

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I have this mouse. I've been using the same pair of AAA batteries in it for 6 months! Love it. $29 is a great price. I have also never had any problems getting rebates back from Logitech.
#9 theodoredj

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

This was the first mouse with tiny receiver. Although build-in bluetooth is very popular for new laptop, there're still huge amount of laptops without bluetooth. This mouse is a perfect solution for people who need to bring their laptops from place to place.
#10 Ben_Dover

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Got one of these at Staples for $39 on sale (no rebate). It's a great mouse for a laptop. Although the mouse is light, it has a solid feel to it. The movement is really smooth, too. Because the mouse is so small, my fingers seem to get a bit cramped after a couple of hours of use. I will buy another for my other laptop if the price is a straight $29 (no rebate).
#11 eugenyk

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Excellent mouse. Using it for about a month and it works great.Donno about battery life yet....
#12 tezuka

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

it's a burp notebook mouse...
#13 chopperdave

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

I'd buy it if it was less than $30... The itty-bitty receiver is cool.
#14 xlzzz

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Website Comment Reply with quote

Wow great post #5...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ben's Bargains Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: